SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP)-Authorities say a central California resident has died from complications related to the use of e-cigarettes.
The announcement Monday by the Tulare County Public Health Office comes hours after Gov. Gavin Newsom issued an executive order to spend $20 million on raising awareness about the dangers of vaping nicotine and cannabis.
Reports say the Tulare County resident died of severe pulmonary injury associated with vaping. Officials didn’t release the person’s name and age.
Hundreds of people nationwide have come down with lung illness related to vaping.
Juul Labs says it agrees that there is a need to crack down on counterfeit and knockoff vaping products.
The comments from one of the most prominent e-cigarette companies come in response to executive actions announced by California Gov. Gavin Newsom. He wants the state to spend $20 million on a public awareness campaign about the dangers of vaping and has asked lawmakers to send him legislation banning flavored e-cigarettes.
Juul spokesman Ted Kwong says the company has taken aggressive actions to combat youth vaping. But just last week an Illinois teenager sued the company arguing it deliberately markets to young people.
Josh Drayton of the California Cannabis Industry Association says the regulated cannabis industry wants to see the nicotine industry follow the same rigorous standards that it does.