Employment Status: Full – Time
Reports To: Executive Director
Hours: Monday – Friday, 9am – 6pm, subject to fluctuations as business needs dictate
Job Summary: The Class B Driver will support the organization by operating multiple 15 passenger vans, or the general equivalent, to ensure safe transportation for students/clients to and from specified VAC program locations. Performs routine vehicle maintenance and reports non-routine problems as detected. Must have the ability to manage and adapt to challenging behavior(s) from student(s) in accordance with VAC policies and protocol.
- Operate the 15 passenger vans and/or equivalent to transport students/clients.
- Follow specified instructions, procedures and standards for safe operation of the vehicle and fo
the care and safety of passengers.
- Follow all federal, state and local traffic laws and regulations governing the operation of
commercial van for passenger use.
- Performs, or schedules all routine vehicle maintenance, such as checking oil, water and tires;
reporting any non-routine problem or malfunctioning equipment to management.
- Implement VAC techniques and approved methods of intervention for student behavior(s).
- Adheres to all VAC policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Exemplifies VAC’s Mission, Vision and Core Values.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Skilled in the operation of commercial passenger vans or equivalent.
- Knowledge of the greater Bakersfield area and surrounding areas.
- Ability to communicate effectively (oral and written) with students, parents, VAC vendor
supervisors and other employees as necessary.
- Ability to perform routine maintenance on small commercial vehicles and to identify vehicle
problems and/or malfunctions.
- Knowledge of requirements and standards related to the safe and efficient operation of light
- Knowledge of federal, state and local traffic laws and regulations governing the operation of a
commercial passenger vehicle.
- Ability to maintain composure, remain objective, demonstrate sound judgment and react
effectively in challenging situations.
- Prior experience working with individuals with Developmental Disabilities preferred.
- Flexible and adaptable to student, program, and organizational changes.
- Exhibits a positive, solution oriented and motivating demeanor at all times.
High School Diploma or GED required (all programs).
- Lifting and carrying up to 60 lbs. with assistance.
- Frequent sitting, bending and twisting.
- Simple grasping with both hands and fine manipulation with both hands.
- Occasional pushing and pulling, reaching above and below shoulder level, squatting, walking,
standing, kneeling, crawling and climbing.
- Regular exposure to excessive noise levels.
- Regular exposure to outside elements, including excessive heat, direct sunlight, cold, wind or
- CPR/First Aid certification required.
- Completion of behavior modification training within first 30 days of employment.
- Valid Class B California Driver’s License.