The main runway at Meadows Field Airport in Bakersfield is getting a makeover, and county supervisors hope the $49-Million project attracts new flights.
Over 50 local dignitaries including Congressman McCarthy came out to Monday’s groundbreaking ceremony to celebrate the start of construction. It is the largest construction project in the airport’s history.
The runway will be upgraded to meet Federal Aviation Administration safety standards with new concrete and lighting, as well as closing and fixing taxiways. The FAA is funding 90% of the project;The other 10% comes from the airport’s Enterprise Fund.
The runway will still be used but will close intermittently from April until it’s completed in 2018.