Pacific Gas and Electric is letting their customers know how they can save money this Winter with low temperatures in the Central Valley.
The release from PG&E can be seen below:
With the drop in temperatures, many PG&E customers are using their heaters more right now.
Natural gas users across the country and other parts of the world are seeing an increase in their gas costs, driven largely by natural gas market prices that are much higher than last winter. Prices are about 90% higher than last winter nationwide and in PG&E’s service area. Globally it’s about 400%.
PG&E passes through the cost of energy purchases directly to our customers and does not mark-up that cost. These higher natural gas costs combined with lower-than-normal temperatures in some areas causing folks to crank up their heaters, increasing monthly energy bills.
More than 70% of winter energy costs are from your heating system, water heater, and washer/dryer. Here are tips to save:
- Set the thermostat at 68 degrees or lower, health permitting, save 2% for each degree the thermostat is lowered.
- Clean or replace air filters monthly, and keep warm air moving by reversing ceiling fans to force warm air into living spaces.
- Set the water heater thermostat to 120 degrees or lower; install low-flow fixtures to use less water (or take shorter showers); wash clothes in cold water.
To reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, customers should also ensure they are heating their homes safely.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector, which will warn you when concentrations become dangerously high.
- Place detectors near sleeping areas, where they can wake you if you are asleep.
- Never use products inside the home that generate dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, such as generators, barbecues, propane heaters and charcoal.
- Never use cooking devices such as ovens and stoves for home heating purposes.
- Place space heaters on level, hard, nonflammable surfaces, not on rugs or carpets.
- Don’t put objects on space heaters or use them to dry clothes or shoes.
- Turn off space heaters when leaving the room or going to sleep.
- Keep all flammable materials at least three feet away from heating sources and supervise children and pets when a space heater or fireplace is being used.
If customers suspect there is a problem with a natural gas appliance inside their home, they should call PG&E at 1-800-743-5000. If you detect carbon monoxide in your home, you should get out immediately and call 911.